Monday, April 7, 2014

It's almost Passover.....

I wrote this note on my Facebook page many years ago.....I've edited it to be more current.

I may not fast on Yom Kippur, but I keep Passover....(What this means, keeping Passover)

Passover 1994:
Oh how I miss this place.
I have a collegiate lacrosse game on the first day of Passover. There is a whole lot of discussion as to whether I'd be allowed to play or not. I'm allowed to play. Mom says we will just start Passover on the 2nd night, G-d will understand. For the first night we (Mom, Dad & I) go to the Old Mill Crab House in Delmar. The Crab House where nothing is kosher any day of the week much less kosher for Passover. 

In the 90s we wore A LOT of gear!
The next morning I am geared up and on the field warming up in a COMPLETE deluge.  Coaches convince the officials to let us play (the other team was from out of state).  Five minutes into the game, umpires say "no more, it isn't safe." Driving home, Dad gets a speeding ticket.



Passover 2001:
I meet a friend in Ft. Lauderdale for our spring breaks. We were both teachers. We are staying with my relatives so we did the first night sedar with them. The next day we go to the beach. Completely starving, we leave the beach after a few hours and grab lunch, 2 bites in, it dawns on me that I'm sitting in Subway.
The next morning, I woke up with sun poisoning (this would be the first and only time) and had to go on steroids. Physician's orders: STAY OUT OF THE SUN! The entire week we were there it was in the low 80s, slight ocean breeze, in other words: PERFECT BEACH WEATHER!

Passover 2009:
In January of 2009 I officially, finally and for the last time ended things with my insignificant other and I went on a cruise after doing first night's sedar with Mom, Dad et al. I truly believed that G-d would get that I was exercising my freedom. While I wasn't giving up bread, I was stepping out of my comfort zone. I was traveling on my own and I was not going to see him.  The original plan was to spend the night half way home, but I decided to drive straight through. This got me home about 12 hours earlier than planned. I opened my door and hear my dishwasher clicking and smell that bad electrical smell. My dishwasher had been stuck on a heat cycle for a week. The bottom of my dishwasher looked melted; the plates were too hot to handle. G-d didn't burn down my house which was very nice of him, but I did need to buy a new dishwasher.

Passover 2013:
On April 1, the second to last day of Passover...my condo building had a fire rendering it unlivable. I lost about 75% of my belongings. On day 2 of Passover I slipped and ate cookie dough ice cream. Went right back on the wagon...coincidence? IDK....

As an aside...OMG, this is blog post #13....Praying for an uneventful Passover 2014.

1 comment:

  1. ouch. I'd say you make a strong case for keeping passover until you're dead.

    ReplyDelete