Monday, April 28, 2014

6 months...what!?!....

Six months from Thursday I will be standing on the beach in Panama City, FL waiting to enter the water. Six months from Thursday I will swim 2.5 miles (I plan on not swimming straight), bike 112 miles (I pray I don't get lost on this part) and run/jog/hobble/ walk/crawl 26.5 (again, I doubt I'll be moving on tangents) all in the hopes of hearing "Shawna you are an IRONMAN!"

It's going to be a long six months. And, it is going to fly by.


Obligatory selfie.
Yesterday I did my first 'long ride'. It was 56 miles. I had company for the first 25 miles which was nice then I was on my own. I was told to take my time, focus on cadence and just get it done. If I couldn't get it done, just go as far as I could. My longest ride before this one had been about 33 miles! We rode out on the Silver Comet about 21 miles and then took a short break. We refilled water bottles, took a selfie, and got going again back in the direction of the cars. Oh my, the restart hurt.




I got back to my car around mile 42 and refilled my water bottles. I had lots of thoughts of not going back out. After all, my workout said, "do what you can :) I want 56 but understand if you cant get it all in." I secretly love when Coach gives me an out. I love to prove him wrong. When he says: I doubt you'll do the whole thing and that's okay....no it isn't!

Leaving from the car I only needed to go out 7 miles, turn around, and come back.

Around mile 3 (mile 45 in sum) I decided I was done. But I would do one more mile. Then I'm going to turn around. But I'm going to just do one more mile. You get the idea. I made it out 7. I got off my bike. Sent Coach a text that said, "I hate you." He reminded me I have to ride twice as far in 6 months. I told him I can do math.
I thought about leaving my bike here, but then I decided walking 7 miles would suck too.
Every.Stroke.Hurt. Something is going on with my hip and I don't like it.

Spoke with coach after the ride. He told me I did great. Pulling myself through the end of the ride on my own is what race day is about. He also explained that we are in the building process. 3 weeks build then 1 week recover.

I would say from the looks of it, this is another build week!

Non training related event from this weekend include finding a dining room table at a garage sale and falling asleep getting my hair cut. I told someone last night if I sit still I fall asleep. I was not joking!
 
Here's to the harsh realization that IMFL (Ironman Florida for those of you new around here) is going to be here sooner rather than later.



2 comments:

  1. Shawna, with your attitude, you WILL be an IRONMAN in six months! That ability to just "go one more mile" is what will carry you for 140.6! I can't wait to cross that Finish Line for the first time, myself, and can't wait to share the celebration! I look forward to following your journey here!

    Feel free to check out my journey at http://imronman.blogspot.com/ !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be there at Panama City Beach with you on Nov. 1st, a 1st time 140.6 racer myself as well. You can do this! Just keep moving, training and listening to your coach and you will make it to the finishing line.

    ReplyDelete