Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Happy New Year....

I know I've been quiet. I guess I haven't really felt like I have had anything to say. It's a weird time of year for me. The Jewish High Holidays are swiftly approaching and since I left working in the Jewish Communal world it just doesn't feel the same.

There's too much going on and with working until 5 on Wednesday when Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) begins, getting to Birmingham to celebrate with my parents isn't feasible. Plus, I've been out of town the past 2 weekends and will be again this weekend. Logistically, it just doesn't make sense. My local family doesn't celebrate the holiday or at least not like we did when we were growing up: chicken soup, noodle kugel, apples and honey, nice family dinner.

I guess you could say I'm a bit blah about that. I'll take the evening to make myself a nice dinner and begin contemplating the year past and then continue on Thursday and Friday until I head out of town. The holidays have always been about family and smells. Sounds funny doesn't it? But I can still sense perfectly coming home from school and the smell of the house after my mom had been cooking chicken soup all day and the other scents as well. Although, chicken soup is still my favorite.

This past weekend I was in Franklin, TN just outside of Nashville. I went to attend an RRCA Coaching certification course. 8am-5pm, Saturday and Sunday, sitting still, focusing on someone else talking, with one run, while tracking friends that were racing and kicking ass in Ironman Races. I will still blame Ann for going sub-10 at the Ironman in Maryland if I fail my exam. Although, with that sort of race time, she didn't distract me for very long!


How I made it through: coffee and water
The course was 95% locals. Unlike the impression I was given that there would be a group dinner Saturday night and a group run Sunday morning, there was no community building. I asked Saturday at the end of class if anyone would run with me in the morning as I don't know the area. One woman from out of the area said she'd meet me and a couple of men came up and gave us ideas of where we could run. According to a Facebook friend, the same thing happened when the course was in Atlanta. My biggest disappointment is I put off making plans with others in the area because I thought I had dinner plans Saturday night. Don't get me wrong, everyone was very nice including the instructor who picked on me incessantly the first day.


7.3 miles of rolling hills Sunday before
class with Ellen from 'Choo.
No big deal. I had a nice meal at the Franklin Chop House and got my homework done there at the bar. (Where else would one do run-planning homework?)

A few weeks ago I went to Ikea to get a dresser because I have yet to furnish my bedroom beyond a mattress and night stand. I told a friend I need a space for clothes and to put things down when I walk in the room. I posted on Facebook soliciting help because having an extra set of hands is nice. This is another time when it sucks to be single. I don't need a guy to put it together, I've been assembling things on my own for years. I need a set of hands to hold things up or help me put the bedframe down. Wanting help is not the same as needing. As of last night, things may get assembled next Thursday.

Well as you can see, I found a place to drop things....












Oh, and I guess there are some races this weekend that my friends and I are involved with. There is the Chattanooga Ironman (144.6+ thanks to changes in the bike course) that I am STILL very happy with my decision not to participate in and then the Augusta Half Ironman (70.3) that I am participating in. I am bib number 1933 if that interests you, but I think you can track by name too.

If you remember I said I had 2 big weekends coming up that would really gauge my preparedness for IMFL. IMFL training camp 2 weeks ago was one and Augusta 70.3 is the other. I'm excited and anxious and nervous and indifferent and you get the idea. It is my first 70.3 and I think the excitement of it all has been overshadowed by IMFL.

To those of you who are racing: Race hard, race fair, have fun! This is merely a celebration of all your training.

To those who celebrate: L'shanah tovah tikatevu.

I may just have to make mom's Jewish Apple Cake for the aromatherapy. Who in Augusta will help me eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment