Tuesday, February 10, 2015

I Give Up...

I quit. I'm throwing in the towel. I'm raising the white flag. I'm taking my ball and going home. I'm taking my clubs and moving to Cleveland (I had a manager that used to say that all the time).

I'm retiring from online dating. I know this disappoints many of you as the anecdotes will be limited, but I assure you, if I stuck with it, I'd be shopping for a mental institution.

Means by which I have tried to meet  someone significant since I've turned 30: It's Just Lunch. Match. Eharmony. Plenty of Fish. OK Cupid. Jdate. Tinder. Craigslist (I'm not proud, but true). I have disabled all of them. I think. I hope.

I'm not ready to completely give up on dating because I do try to be an optimist about it. But, let's be real for a moment...the last 2 guys who REALLY took an interest in me (other than 5th Date and well. that's another can of worms) in the past 4 months were both attached. One is Facebook official and the other is MARRIED. MARRIED. WTH? I confess, I got caught up in the attention. It was flattering. But it's wrong. I'm not that girl. Wow, lots of confessions today apparently. I was that girl. One time, loooong time ago. It never felt right. It always felt wrong. Never again. Never. I'm completely offended that he thought I was 'that girl.' When I finally told him to stop, he was stressing me out, he said he was just joking with me. I assure you if I share pictures he sent or screen shots of what he said to his wife, she wouldn't find them funny. Again, he reminded me he was just joking. Maybe he is trying to convince himself.

Additional conversations I have had in the past 24 hours:
Mr. Maintenance...I called him that because he kept in touch just enough to keep my attention. I've been hanging out/dating with him for about 15 months on and off. Finally last night I decided I was done. This is the same guy who a few months ago after being out with me the night before sent me a text the next morning saying he needed a break. It was my turn. I sent him a text. (Fair's fair. Right?) I assured him I wasn't mad at him but I have never been a priority to him and I never will be. 7 hours later he texts me. I reply. He wants to know what I'm up to. I tell him that I'm just off my bike and I need to shower and eat. He asks me if I want to come over. I say no thanks. He says ok. Guess he didn't want to see me that much.

Then there's Mr. Screen Shot. I shared a bit about him yesterday on Facebook. He's the guy who told me that he would not be buying my dinner when we met up. I told him then it wasn't a date just 2 friends meeting up. He says so it's a date if I pay? I said yes. This plus many other things had red flags waving high, but you know, I'm slow on the uptake. I give him the benefit of the doubt. He suggests we meet in Midtown. I counter with Perimeter. He asks for Kennesaw. Fine. I pick a restaurant he says Ippolitos. I said fine. A few more exchanges last night and I'm about to hop on my trainer so I tell him I'll catch  up with him later. He replies, maybe. (Arrogant SOB). We catch up this morning. Random topics of conversation, nothing exciting. He asks if I want to meet on Thursday at Chuy's (my original suggestion he rejected). I replied I thought you said Scallini's... and living up to his name.... (he's yellow, I'm bluish)

So no more. If you know someone you think I should meet. Sure! Why not? I have one requirement: He must be single: LEGALLY, MORALLY, ETHICALLY, and EMOTIONALLY. And one request: You actually think we will get along. We should have more in common then we are both single.

Tonight I have dinner with a guy friend. I have no idea if it's a date or not. I do know it will be fun. And that, is all that matters.






No comments:

Post a Comment