Wednesday, March 7, 2018

I Have a Favorite Grocery Store....

Yesterday was my birthday and for the first time since maybe 2012 or 2013, I didn't plan out my day around a workout. I had no interest in swimming 4400 yards, or cycling 44 miles, or running for 44 minutes or 4.4 miles. I was just going to turn 44 as quietly and gracefully as possible.

B took the day off and we spent the day being foodies in Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC.


43 was a good year for me. I started it in (what I thought was) my dream job as a collegiate lacrosse coach. I became the winningest coach in the program's history and was honored by my peers as the conference coach of the year. I spent the summer traveling for work, getting to know B, and training for my 3rd Ironman. In late summer/fall B and I were engaged:
Less than 2 months later I retired from Ironman with a hell of a PR in Chattanooga.

B and I found our wedding location and we traveled to DC with the Kyle Pease Foundation for the Marine Corp Marathon. That event was a real struggle for me physically, but was most likely my strongest mental day yet. I shaved off about 10-15 minutes from the year before. Go #TeamNaomi!

B and I merged our families together for Thanksgiving and for Christmas we saw (almost) EVERYONE. Wedding planning was in full swing and I prepared for another lacrosse season as a coach instead of a ref.

Then things changed. I was released/resigned from my coaching responsibilities. Huh.
  • It was for the best.
  • It was a blessing in disguise.
  • When one door closes, another door opens.
  • [[insert your favorite here]]
I landed on my feet because that's what I do. I took a day and threw myself a lovely pity party and then I called all the lacrosse assignors I knew (for officiating) and got back on the schedules. B and I evaluated options and sped up the process of shacking-up officially. I needed to yield my house as paying 2 rents just didn't make sense. I moved to the counttree. Adulting is hard.

Some days are great, some are difficult. Just like when I did have a steady full time job. So the question has been, "What are you looking for now?" The answer: I'm not. I'm completely LOVING being back in the middle of the lacrosse field with the Zebras. I'm trying my hand at some contract work. I get to cut back on my schedule when B and I have the kids and spend time with them before and after school. I'm taking the break I wanted back in November 2016 but instead went straight from one job to the next. Oh, and B calls me a semi-pro triathlete because I have a little bit more time to train. 

So cheers to: (in no particular order)
  • being 44
  • being a step mom
  • being a lot less stressed
  • being in love
  • being happy
  • being content
  • accepting my lot in life right now and being very, VERY happy with it.
I LOVE Aldi... seriously, I do.






No comments:

Post a Comment