Monday, June 27, 2016

Not Much of a Trend Setter...

It seems to be the current trend is to share everything on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and a few other social media outlets I'm not cool enough to understand. While it seems like everyone is over sharing, I'm sitting here thinking, "Do I really want that shared?" and I'm pulling back. (Before I get called out on my food posts to Instagram, those posts are for me, not you. I'm in a second round of Whole30, and posting to Instagram helps keep me focused. And even there, an outlet for pictures, I don't post every bite that I take.)

Maybe that's why I haven't written much recently.

Or maybe, when I started blogging it was because I was constantly being challenged to push myself further and sharing these new experiences with you was fun and the support provided really helped me keep going. Now when I swim, bike, run, it seems as normal as eating breakfast. It's what I do. Am I facing new challenges, all the time, but it seems like a more personal journey I guess.

Anyway...I have a race report to share. I don't think I shared a report on my first race of the season or if I did, I just had it on Facebook.

PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon: 500m swim, 16mile bike, 5K run

I'm chronically early on race day. It's my thing. I get to Dallas Landing before the sun rises. I don't know why I didn't think of this a year or so ago, but I did all my bike prep at home before driving over (air in the tires, etc). My first stop is the Cannon Cyclery tent because Bart had been requesting #bakedgoods. I brought the guys s'more stuffed brownies and Wayne wastes no time digging in. Curtis does a quick once over on my bike and I'm off to set up my transition.

Wayne making sure everyone saw the deliciousness he was about to eat! (Happy 60th Wayne!)
I must be getting more comfortable because I have started bringing less and less with me to sprints.
I claimed a spot in the middle of the rack, but on the end, if that makes sense. My number grouping was assigned to a rack on the inside of 2 put together. Anyway, I set up, put things down and then start visiting. After all, what else do you do for 1.5 hours before the race starts, I mean besides braid Jess's hair?
Jess and I rocking our Ironwilled kits by Coeur!

When I returned, some one had shifted my bike over, placed her bike between mine and the rail, and had her bike hanging over my stuff. Come on folks, you don't touch other people's bikes. If you have an issue, you tell an official. They find the person. She said she didn't mean to upset me when I asked her how my bike got moved. I then told her not to worry, I would reset so that I was not in her way as I pointed out to her that I would have to climb under her bike to get to my shoes.

PSA: Please don't touch someone's stuff in transition. If there's a problem, a race official will find the owner of said stuff.

It's always fun doing local races and meeting new people and seeing friends. That has to be the only reason I keep coming back to this race. It's a first rate race, but the only thing flat on this course is the swim! I got to hang out and chat with too many people to list without forgetting someone, so I'll skip that part.

The race report:

The Swim:
The swim is posted as 500 meters. I think the course was long. I'm not complaining, everyone swam the same course. I looked at my official race pace and the meters Garmin says I covered and my pace and theirs aren't close! (Garmin said 2:17/100yd, race pace said 2:50/100 yd) So I looked at other athletes and their posted race pace, no way. They swim much faster than that. Anyway, this year, unlike last year, I was able to get in and start swimming without engaging in a boxing match for 500 meters. My heart rate stayed steady, and I felt good. As a matter of fact, I'm swimming looking for the next buoy (there were 2-3 between turns) and the next thing I know I'm approaching the turn. Not really sure where the other went, but oh well.

Out of the swim and I'm able to run up the beach and into transition. T1 was about 90 secs. Nothing worth noting, but once again, I don't practice transitions, so I'm happy.

Photo cred: Lauren who I met at Endurance House's event a couple of weekends ago.
The Bike.
The plan on any sprint I do is to "put the pedal down and hold on for as long as possible." This one was no different except I was to hold back a little towards the end of the bike to get ready for the run, and see how hard I could push the run. More on that in a moment.

Ride elevation chart, about 675 feet on climbing in 16 miles.
The bike is never my favorite part. It is a necessary component to get me from the swim to the run. I can't remember ever finishing a race and thinking, THAT was a good bike! But yesterday I did. I felt I was riding strong and steady. I didn't curse any of the hills out loud. (I may have had some internal dialogue about some cyclists who were riding down the middle of the lane and I had to get very specific about them moving to the right so I could pass them but my words out loud were very encouraging. I promise!!!) I even kept my joy about me to motivate others up a nice steady long freakin' hill about mile 12. Last year I rode this route at about 15.8 mph. This year was 17.2!

T2: a minute ish

The Run.
They changed the run this year. I'm not sure why, but they did. It added more hills. In all, about 245 feet of climbing in 3.1 miles. The usual plan is to get my feet under me and just hold on. Saturday night, coach added some helpful planning for the race: Let's work the run and at the end, I want you to remember why you hate sprints. Out of transition and at that moment the cloud cover parted and the sun came out. It was hot and sunny. I decided it was best to stop at the first water station (I normally go past it on a sprint) and grab 2 waters: 1 for my head and one to sip for a moment. Then I started off again. Lizzie said I looked strong. I wasn't feeling that way. Heat. Hills. Humidity. Pretty normal for Atlanta, but still tough to push through. I remembered 6 secs and started setting small goals for going up the next hill. Get to the purple flowers. Get to the mailbox. Get to the top of the hill. Other than split second stops at the aide stations, I ran through and still pulled off negative splits with a sprint in on the final straight away. 29:32, about 30 secs off of last year, but it was hotter and it was different course.
Mountain goats would love this course

I was very happy with how my day went. I can honestly say I had a great ride and followed it up with a really good run. Usually when someone finishes a tri and starts talking about how great their ride was, it is usually followed by a complete meltdown on the run.

A VERY VERY special shout out goes to this lady who shaved 26 minutes off her time from last year and has dropped 40lbs!! She's a true juggler of triathlon, family, and career. Once again...I'm so happy for you and your accomplishments!

And coach: I remember why I hate sprints!*

*Come on, people. They are hard! Nothing against you short course people.

Lastly....while I have met my fundraising goal, Aidan and his family are still working on theirs. If you are interested and able to support our endeavor, please consider donating to the Kyle Pease Foundation on our behalf. EVERY dollar is helpful!

Aidan and I after our first 5K together. #KPMCM16 here we come!

1 comment: