Friday, November 28, 2014

Thank you! and You! and You!

I've been thinking a lot about what I'm thankful for this year and it is a lot!

I'm thankful for my interesting family. I mean everyone's family is interesting and full of characters and has interesting dynamics. I don't think mine is special, well, yes I do. My family drives me nuts. But they love me unconditionally and I love them unconditionally. Even though.... not one of them is a triathlete, GASP!

My family doesn't really understand what I love to do. But they love me. And because they love me, they support what I do. My BIG event this year was Ironman Florida. I would not have gotten my entry without my brother bugging his contacts around the world to vote for me daily. Multiple times through the year, I did my food prep at my sister's completely taking over her kitchen for a few hours. Day of the race, my parents came to watch and braved the elements to see me start, mid race and finish. My brother and sister tracked me and posted for all to see so that all of our friends could keep up. My folks have already blocked off the weekend for Ironman Louisville so they can be there. My family thinks I'm crazy, but they all support me in their own way.



I am thankful for the people who have chosen to be part of my life. I was reminded by someone a couple months ago about how many people inhabit our planet. With this huge number, there are bound to be people who don't like us. That's okay as there are others who do. There is no reason for me to permit, encourage or even expect someone who doesn't like me (or I don't like them) to stay in my world or take up my energy. It's taken 40 years, but I'm becoming okay with it. (I'm a slow learner.)
I am thankful for triathlon and everything it has brought to my life: the people, the confidence, this blog. Yesterday my dad asked me if I was going to do any more marathons or if I was focusing on triathlons from now on. I explained that I'm focusing on being a triathlete. I have no bucket-list marathons on  my horizon. That doesn't mean I'll never run another stand-alone marathon, but as of today the Disney Marathon is the last one.


Just 2 months ago Janie created a Facebook group called Ironman Women. I thought the idea was amazing and ran with helping her grow the group. Knowing that she had some major life changes about to happen she passed the group over to me. We exchanged some ideas and I proposed a name change to Ironwilled: Women Who TRI. The name received rave reviews and in 2 months we have grown to over 500 members. There has been no drama, no cattiness, no condescension which seems to occasionally pop up in other triathlon groups. I'm honored and proud to oversee and be a part of this group. I'm excited and curious to see how it continues to evolve in the off season and into next triathlon season. Janie, THANK YOU!

I'm thankful to be back home and conflicted at the same time. My home was destroyed by smoke and water on April 1, 2013. I was able to move back home the end of March 2014. However, just last weekend another building went up in smoke. It's disheartening. Four fires in seven years with three of them being in the past three years. Only one was electrical, the rest started on the outside of the building. All could have been prevented. PLEASE CHECK your homeowner's/renter's insurance. I was under-insured and while my insurance company was great, they could only pay out my coverage. The financial implications of this event are just now catching up to me. As I mentioned on Facebook the other day, 2014 was the year of the credit card. 2015 will be the year of "can I borrow that".

I'm thankful to still be single. WHAT??? Yes, I'm thankful I'm still single. I went out on a lot of dates this year. I met a lot of guys. I met a lot of really nice guys. I met a lot of really great guys. I haven't met the right guy for me. I'm not looking for the perfect guy, I'm looking and waiting for the perfect guy for me. This is a good time to remind my niece and nephews that when I'm old and senile, they have promised to take care of me.

Thanks for being part of my journey. You gotta admit, it's an interesting ride.







No comments:

Post a Comment