Saturday, April 11, 2015

I Take Ideas from Others....

Last week a woman I follow on Daily Mile discussed this quote. Her point really resonated with me. So much so, I'm still thinking about it. We all know we aren't supposed to compare ourselves to others, but she went on to discuss not comparing ourselves to our former selves.

Focusing on the right here. Right now.

Before IMFL, I had legs. I mean most wouldn't consider me a 'fastie' but I was a very solid top 25% in most of my running races. Since IMFL I have been struggling with getting my legs back. I feel like I have no turnover in them, and while my legs and body loves running long and easy (aka slow), my ego is taking a beating. My conversational pace is a full 1-2 minutes off where it once was.

Last week while visiting my favorite Ice Cream Shop LBS (Cannon Cyclery) I was asked if I was going to do the SheMovesATL 5K. I said no. My coach who was there at the time looked at me and nodded. So I changed my answer to "ummm ok."
Curtis doing his thing and glaring at me.
I don't run 5Ks. 5Ks when raced to the best of my ability hurt. My heart thumps against my chest. My lungs want to explode and the last time I pr'd (person record) a 5k I wanted to throw-up at the end. That's why I don't run 5Ks. I'm a long course athlete...I don't go hard, I just keep going. Well, coach altered my training plans to include the 5K.

I did score this great t-shirt
Training Peaks notes said "Race, to the best of your ability." Mind you this was after I sent coach a text: Really a 5K? I have no legs for a 5K right now."

I woke up, headed over to the race and got a short warm up done. Getting ready to start the race, I spoke to a woman who explained the course to me: Down hill going out. Flat. Up hill coming back in. If you look at my splits for the race you'd think it was a poorly executed race as each mile got slower. BUT: I embraced the hills going out; held on for the flat and then pushed through the hills at the end. Overall, while it wasn't even close to my fastest 5K time it was almost 2 minute faster than I expected.

What does the opening quote have to do with me running a 5K this weekend?

I now have 2 options: A. Celebrate that I had a good run for where my training and focus is right now. B. Be miserable that I used to do this race faster. I choose A. My speed is still there-ish and I just read through my upcoming training plans and speed work is coming.

I even brought home some hardware this morning: A pint glass and a pair of panties as I finished second in my age group.

 
I've been encouraging others not to minimize their accomplishments and be in the here and now. It's time for me to take my own advise. After all, it is a long road to IM Lousiville.


No comments:

Post a Comment